What are Homeopathic Remedies for Hypothyroidism in Women
Women are more prone to Hypothyroidism compared to men. Homeopathy has effective remedies for female hypothyroidism.
This article is compiled to get a basic understanding of female hypothyroidism and homeopathic remedies for the same. It covers questions such as -
- What are the common myths about Hypothyroidism?
- What is Hypothyroidism?
- Who are prone to Hypothyroidism?
- What are signs and symptoms of Hypothyroidism?
- What are primary and secondary types of Hypothyroidism?
- What are the Causes of Hypothyroidism?
- What is TSH Level Test?
- What are Potential Dangers of Hypothyroidism?
- What is Homeopathic Management of Hypothyroidism in Female?
What are the Common Myths about Hypothyroidism?
I don’t have goiter, that means I don’t have hypothyroidism
Many hypothyroid patients don’t always develop goiter
Only older women gets affected by Hypothyroidism
Anyone can get affected by Hypothyroidism. However, older aged women and pregnant women are more prone to get affected
Hypothyroidism medicines can not be taken during pregnancy
If untreated, hypothyroidism can lead to completions in pregnancy and child birth. It can hamper brain development of child. Medication should be taken after consulting qualified doctor
I can not get pregnant because I have hypothyroidism
Untreated hypothyroidism hampers chances of pregnancy. However, take guidance from qualified doctor to treat hypothyroidism and eventually march towards successful pregnancy
I need to undergo surgery of thyroid gland if I have to get rid off hypothyroidism
Not at all. On the contrary, surgery on thyroid glands can worsen the hypothyroidism conditions. Medication (but not the overdose of medication) should be ideal way to treat hypothyroidism.
What is Hypothyroidism?
- Thyroid gland is a small butterfly shaped gland positioned at the front lower part of the neck
- It is responsible for providing energy to almost every body organs
- It controls functions like heart beat rate, digestion, etc.
- Hypo in Greek means “less than normal”
- Hypothyroid, hence means less than normal thyroid
- In a Hypothyroidism condition – Thyroid gland doesn’t produce ample amount of thyroid hormones
- Thyroid hormone is required to run body’s metabolism
- Hence, hypothyroid condition, results in slow metabolism
Who are Prone to Hypothyroidism?
You are at a higher risk to develop hypothyroidism, if you are –
- a woman, and
- older than 50 years of age
However, you are prone to hypothyroidism, if you have -
- Family History of thyroid disease
- Auto-immune Disorder such as Type-1 Diabetes, Celiac Disease, multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Addison’s Disease, Pernicious Anemia, Vitiligo
- Been treated with radioactive iodine or anti-thyroid medications
- Received radiations to neck or upper chest
- Undergone thyroid surgery (partial thyroidectomy)
- Been pregnant or delivered a baby within the past six months
- Bipolar Disorder
- Down Syndrome
- Turner Syndrome
What are Signs & Symptoms of Hypothyroidism?
The signs and symptoms of Hypothyroidism vary depending upon severity.
Often, problem develops slowly over a period of time.
Early signs of hypothyroidism are fatigue, weight gain, and weakness.
One can also observe, all or some of the following symptoms.
- Enhanced sensitivity to cold temperatures
- Enlarged thyroid gland (Goiter)
- Increased blood cholesterol level
- Muscle pain and stiffness
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Hair thinning, dry hair, hair loss
- Slow heart rate
- Skin – Dry, rough, and pale
- Puffy face
- Impaired memory
- Decreased libido
- Increased irritation
- Increased tongue size
What are Primary and Secondary type of Hypothyroidism?
Primary Hypothyroidism: Caused due to direct problem with the thyroid gland. For instance, lesser secretion of thyroid hormone due to surgery of thyroid gland.
Secondary Hypothyroidism: Caused when problems at the other body parts affect thyroid gland. For instance, problem with Pituitary gland affects production of thyroid hormones.
What are the Causes of Hypothyroidism?
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: It is the most common cause. It is an auto-immune system. Our own immune system produces antibodies that attack and destroy the thyroid glands. As a result, thyroid glands doesn't produce ample amount of thyroid hormones, creating conditions of hypothyroidism.
Other Causes include -
- Radiation therapy to the neck area
- Radioactive Iodine Treatment
- Thyroid surgery
- Deficiency of iodine in the diet
- Disorder of Pituitary Gland
- Disorder of Hypothalamus
- Use of certain medications. Such as medicines to treat heart problems, psychiatric conditions, and cancer can sometime affect the production of thyroid hormone
What is TSH Level Test?
- TSH - Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, is produced by Pituitary Gland
A high level of TSH is an indication of underactive thyroid
Normal range of TSH is 0.4 – 5.0 milli-international units per litre
- Pituitary produces more TSH in an effort to stimulate thyroid gland into producing more thyroid hormone
- In case of high TSH level, it is recommended to go for Thyroid Hormone Test
- Low level of thyroid hormone (also called thyroxine or T4) is also an indicator of hypothyroidism
- In some cases, TSH levels are higher but T4 levels are normal. It is called subclinical (mild) hypothyroidism. It is believed to be an early stage of hypothyroidism. In such cases regular check-up is recommended.
- If the test results are abnormal, it is recommended to go for thyroid ultrasound or thyroid scan. This is to check for nodules or inflammation
What are potential dangers of Hypothyroidism?
- Heart problems
- Risk of heart related problems increase even with mild hypothyroidism
- Levels of “bad cholesterol” increases
- Build of fluid around the heart
- Risk of strokes and heart attacks
- Low levels of thyroid has adverse impact on ovulation
- Increases chances of infertility in women
- Mental health
- Cause of depression
- Slow mental functioning
- Pressure on thyroid to produce ample hormones leads to inflammation of thyroid gland
- This causes bulge in the neck which is called Goiter
- Unhealthy new born
- During pregnancy, baby receives all the required thyroid hormones from the mother
- If mother has hypothyroidism, the baby runs the risk of developing mental problems
- These problems are to be addressed immediately after birth
- Myxoedema is the most severe form of hypothyroidism
- Very rare
- Extremely low levels of thyroid hormones
- Life-threatening condition
- Other related problems with Hypothyroidism
- Joint pain
- Mental health issues
What are Homeopathic Remedies of Hypothyroidism?
- One of the top homeopathic medicines for treatment of Hypothyroid cases
- Offered for following typical symptoms –
- Obese people who are always chilly and cannot tolerate cold air
- Fair complexioned, fatty and flabby
- Excessive sweating on head
- Peculiarities in eating habits such as craving for boiled eggs, desire for indigestible things like chalk, pencils, lime, and aversion to take fats
- This medicine also helps in relieving constipation in hypothyroid patients
- Important medicine for treating the hypothyroid patients
- Typical symptoms of a patient are –
- Patient is very weak, have a pale yellow face and faint very easily especially on exposure to excessive cold temperature
- Patients lack vital heat of body and feel excessively chilly even in a warm room
- This medicine also helps in treating the menstrual complaints in patients of hypothyroidism where the menses appear too early and are copious in nature
- This medicine is also prescribed for controlling the excessive hair fall due to hypothyroidism, especially in women of menopausal age
- An excellent thyroid remedy
- Typical symptoms of a patient are –
- Patient suffering from gastric troubles
- Excessive flatulence in the abdomen with acidity that is mainly worse after taking farinaceous food
- Constipation with difficult, hard, incomplete stool
- Patient craves hot drinks and hot food
- This medicine also takes care of excessive hair-fall in a hypothyroid person
- Mainly used for hypothyroid patients who are very obese and take on cold very easily.
- Constipation with hard stool along with difficulty in passing
- Such patients also complain of fullness in abdomen due to obstruction of flatus and desire to loosen the clothing to get relief.
- Prescribed in those patients of hypothyroidism who are –
- Extremely temperamental in nature and get offended very easily
- Such patients are very sensitive to all external impressions
- Having obstinate constipation
- Having bloated feeling in the stomach after eating
- There is an excessive desire for stimulants like alcoholic drinks and coffee; fatty food and spicy food
- Patient is very chilly
- This medicine can also help those women of hypothyroidism who complain of prolonged menses where the menstrual blood is blackish and accompanied by fainting spells
Can be very efficacious in women who have complain of excessive bleeding during menses where the blood is pale and watery leading to anemia and weakness.
- Cinchona Officinalis is yet another useful natural medicine for treating menstrual trouble in women suffering from hypothyroidism.
- The symptom guiding towards its use is profuse menstrual flow containing dark clots.
Psorinum, Silicea, Calcarea Carbonica are wonderful medicines to deal with sensitiveness to cold in hypothyroid patients. All these are equally good for decreasing the sensitivity towards cold but the selection of the medicine solely depends upon the constitutional symptoms given by the patient.
Disclaimer: Please don’t consume these medicines without the prescription of an expert homeopath. The list above is not a comprehensive list of medicines. An expert homeopath, prescribes combination of medicines on the basis of your case and various symptoms pertaining to the same.